Friday, May 15, 2009

Notre Dame de Paris

Not what I had expected. I did not get a sense of being in the presence of the sacred. No feelings of blessing could I detect and not much of a sense of history. What I took away from Notre Dame was that I had seen a busy church in the process of carrying out its hierarachial tasks and doing its clerical duties and that it was a no-nonsense type of place.

It was dark and cold inside the church. The services part of the structure had been segregated into a large “room” which contained the altar, organ pipes, and some pews.

Outside, the passage of time was apparent in the form of dirt, moss, and repairs yet to be made. The gargoyles looked bored. Do they know change is coming, or are they just dreaming?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home