Thursday, May 27, 2010

Key West Food

First off, I must confess I do not care for any kind of sea food.  Therefore I readily admit to not being a good critic of the food inKey West - or any where else for that matter.  

However, I do eat and I did eat  while down there.  My main concern was the omnipresent cigarette smoke in the restaurants.  It was generally present, nauseous, suffocating and repulsive.  Hard to enjoy any other tastes in that toxic environment.  We ate once at Santiago's Bodego and when we left our clothes smelled of cigarette gasses.  I would never go there again.  How was the food?  Honestly couldn’t tell.  I did go into Sloppy Joe’s once to get a Sloppy Joe.  But left because of the cigarette smoke (ash trays were on every table) and the extremely loud and raucous noises coming from the “band?”.   Not my cup of tea - however - the place WAS jammed full of very happy-looking patrons, drinking, eating and smoking as they shouted into each other's ears.

The Cuban Coffee Queen was different - VERY different.  Hard to find until you run right into it and then is the most obvious place in Key West.   Food was OK, not to my way of thinking very good but OK.  I had the Cuban Sandwich and it was not the worst I have had - authentic looking and tasting.  Probably the bread was a little off.  Cigarette smoke here too but since it doesn’t have a dining room - or any other kind of a room - you just sit down on a chair or bench outside the order window. 

Tried Blue Heaven but it had no AC, a 30 minute wait and high prices.  Back to La Trattoria where we ate twice.  No smoke here, and excellent food.  Good service, nice selection.

El Siboney.  Wow.  Cuban food when the motherland is only 90 miles away.  Good.  Very good.  If I ever go down to Key West again I will get a B&B close to El Siboney,

Breakfast at our B&B Angeleos.  Good European type continental breakfast.  Hard cooked egg, cereal, sticky bun, bread, fruit cup, waffle with syrup, and so on.  I put a small amount of cereal in a small bowl and added the fruit cup on top.  Good.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home