Sunday, September 16, 2007

LRAFB



The base seemed much, much larger than I remembered it when I left for the last time in 1968, almost 40 years ago. I finally got on the thing and then got lost and never really recovered, but did find the house I had lived in when I was stationed here (how could 5 people have lived in such a TINY place?),
Found the BX and went in there. Bought a map, fittingly enough.
Nothing really looked familiar except for the flight line. I briefly felt at home there for a while. I guess something about the flight line becomes part of one's DNA. But I couldn't just linger there. I would be arrested, or maybe fired upon by a hidden sniper – well, things have changed, right? Finally I just gravitated to some of the marvelous green spaces on the base.

Enjoyed the monumental airplanes and the rentry vehicle of the Titan II, the warhead that carried its thermo-nuclear weapon, We didn't dwell on the thought but the reason for this entire missile wing once rested on such weapons, or "bombs", as some of my friends who were B-58 pilots used to call them. "You got 18 bombs?" "That's all you got in your whole wing?" Yep, that was it. Turned out to be enough.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home